If you’ve hit it big in Las Vegas, one of the most popular ideas for spending the money is custom jewelry. And why not? Few things say “I’ve made it” like custom signature pieces. They can be a conversation-starter when you go out, as well as a reminder of your trip.
For best results, proper care of the jewelry is essential. Here at Berger and Son, Vegas’ top custom jeweler, we see far too many pieces come in for repair which simply weren’t well cared-for. A little extra work keeping pieces in top condition can keep them looking great for many years to come.
Quick Tips For Caring For Your Custom Las Vegas Jewelry
- Gold: Since gold doesn’t tarnish, it’s extremely easy to care for. Cleaning it with a mild detergent and soft rag is really all that’s needed. The same is true for most gold-plated items as well, although excessive cleaning can sometimes cause the gold layer to wear away.
- Silver: Silver is a soft metal, and easily scratched, so it’s vital to use an extremely soft cloth to clean it. 100% cotton, or “microfiber” cloths, the same sort that can safely wipe eyeglasses are good choices. Stick to specific silver polishes, as they’re formulated to be non-gritty and safe for the metal.
- Stainless Steel: Stainless steel is relatively hard and difficult to damage, so it can be cleaned with standard cleaning products. There are also stainless steel-specific cleaners, which are generally intended for steel kitchenware but work on jewelry as well.
- Pearls: Pearls are extremely fragile and vulnerable to scratching as well as being eaten away by skin oils. They should be wiped down with a damp, soft cloth after every wearing, as well as stored in separate cloth-lined pouches rather than in a standard jewelry box. This is also true for other “organic gems” such as amber or coral.
- Gemstones: Given their hardness, gemstones are easy to clean, generally only requiring soap and water. A toothbrush is a good way to clean behind/underneath the gem setting, where grime can quickly build up. It’s also a good idea to keep each gem-based piece of jewelry in a separate compartment, as hard gemstones can easily scratch the metal used in other gems’ settings.
See Your Jewelry In Person Before You Buy!
While it’s tempting to look for deals online, there are plenty of scams out there. There’s simply no way to know if you’re getting an amazing piece of jewelry without seeing it up-close, with an expert who can verify its authenticity. Buying in-person also ensures a perfect fit, since re-sizing can subtly deform an otherwise great custom piece.
To see just how amazing custom Vegas jewelry can be, visit us at our new location at the Fashion Show Mall or call (702) 737-7118.